What is this work all about
What’s Your View is a campaign to understand the important natural features and landscapes in Southland and to get your views on where these are and why they’re important.
It’s the first part in the process of updating the District Plan so natural features and landscapes are managed appropriately for now and for the future.
The ultimate goal of the work is to update the Natural Features and Landscapes section and other relevant parts of the District Plan, but we want your help to do this.
Southland District Council is reviewing the Natural Features and Landscapes section of the District Plan
The District Plan is the document that manages how we use land within the District. The Natural Features and Landscapes section tells us how we can use land that is located within areas identified as having important environmental, cultural, social value.
Why are we doing this?
- To work together to look after what Southland has for future generations
- To protect important places from increasing threats to our natural environment
- Legislative requirements
How are we doing this?
1. Identifying important natural features and landscapes through
- professional analysis by a landscape architect
- cultural landscape assessment by mana whenua
- community views and opinions
2. Working together to look at ways to protect and enhance the identified spaces
3. Updating the District Plan
We want you to be part of the conversation the whole way. Your input will shape this work.
- Identify important areas (click here to complete a short survey)
- Talk to you - check accuracy of findings
- Conversations with you about potential ways to look after these areas
- Draft changes to the District Plan
- Get your feedback on proposed changes
- Start the formal process to change the District Plan