What are we proposing?
Within the draft Speed Management Plan we set out our overarching speed management principles and propose is focusing on implementing safer and more appropriate speeds on the roads around schools, along with additional areas previously identified within the community and boundary roads.
Specifically, within the draft Speed Management Plan we are proposing speed limit changes in the following areas:
- Speed limits of either 30km/h or 60km/h have been proposed outside of all schools on District roads. Specific speeds proposed are based on the classification of each school’s categorisation under the Rule.
- These speed limits will either be permanent speed limits, which apply at all times, or as a variable speed limit (VSL) which only apply around times of activity near schools, around the beginning and end of the school day.
- Additional areas, where speed limits have been identified as an issue within our communities, which have been assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Safer speed limits have been proposed around Takutai O Te Tītī Marae in Colac Bay.
- Aligning the speed limits on boundary roads that Council share with Invercargill City Council.
- Identification of roads where the current speed limit is 70km/h and either setting a different speed limit or providing an explanation why the current 70km/h speed limit should be retained in accordance with requirements under the rule.
Full details of the changes proposed are set out in the draft plan.
We are also proposing over the next three years between 2024 and 2027, to begin having wider conversations with stakeholders and the community on speed limits and other supporting speed management activities. These conversations will help inform our approach when developing future speed management plans for the District and will focus around how we can approach safe and appropriate speeds in other urban areas along with our wider rural road network.
Aside from the specific speed limit changes detailed within the draft plan, Council is not proposing any other changes to speed limits of urban or rural District roads for the period between 2024 and 2027.